Friday, June 4, 2010

FRUGAL FRIDAY! 6/4


I'd like to start a weekly post to share tips on how I try to be more frugal.  I'm hoping that you will learn something new and it will help you and your family.  What better day than "Frugal Friday"!! 

And so, here's the first weekly installment of Frugal Fridays.  I'll be asking for guest bloggers from time to time to share your ideas so if you're interested, please email me at littlemissmuffins2@gmail.com!

This week I'd like to talk about your dirty laundry.  A while back I gave you the recipe and instructions, complete with pictures, on how to make your own laundry detergent.  Don't worry, it's really easy!  You don't need to be Suzy homemaker to do it, I promise. 

So how much does a bottle of Tide cost these days?  Like a hundred bucks?  No, seriously, it's really expensive and it's one of the worst ones out there as far as polluting the environment.  Check out this article from Naturalnews.com to read all about it.  

So let's say you pay $12.00 for a 64 load bottle of Tide.  The 64 load estimate is for small loads.  Do you only fill it to the bottom line?  Let's even say you do.  That's .1875 cents per load.  I'm guessing you only get more like 50 loads and therefore pay more like .24 cents per load.

The recipe I shared with you HERE, cost .71 cents for 64 loads!  That's a whopping .01 cent per load!  If you need me to post the breakdown I will but trust me, it's accurate.

So I ask you, will you please try a batch or 2 of this?  You won't be disappointed!  I do an average of 10 loads per week so it costs me .10 cents per week to wash my clothes.  If you use Tide, you're spending $2.40 per week, $124.80 per year.  Mine costs me $5.20 PER YEAR!  I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but if you add that to 5 or 6 other things you save over $100 on, you've just freed up an extra $500 or more per year!

I hope you're inspired.  It's cheap and green!

NOTE:  From reading several other reviews on homemade laundry detergent, I've decided to use Ivory soap next time as several posts have reported color fading from using the Fels Naptha.  I have not experienced this color fade as of yet.

5 comments:

  1. I read that article at Natural News too. I get their newsletters. I read about so many name brands having carcinogens in them - very scary! I will definitely try your laundry detergent. I'm so glad you are doing Frugal Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I subscribe to NN also and I love it. It's very eye opening and sometimes quite scary! I'm glad you're trying the detergent! 'Til next week....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure found a great deal there. I have more than enough laundry detergent for more than a year (even with three boys), as I got All Free & Clear for less than $1 a bottle a while back. Since I do not use as much as recommended, I probably stretch the bottle to twice as many loads as well.

    Thanks for the NN newsletter link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest GFC follower from MBC! I hope you'll take a moment to follow me back at Mom of all Trades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about doing this. I should get started trying it.

    Following from MBC.
    http://2monkeysmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete