CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 28, 2009

7 down 50ish to go?

We did things backwards, my husband and I. We met in 1996 at a little tiny restaurant in the town over from where we live now. I was, at the time, a waitress headed to being baker, chef and later on all of the above plus dishwasher all at once. One day this dorky double bar glasses wearing boy came in to fill the dish washing position. He was still in high school. I wasn't. We got to know each other and I slowly fell in love. He was, despite the dorky glasses, sexy and smart. So smart.



We started dating in Spring of 1997. He would come to my apartment after school and lay on my bed doing homework. Did I mention how smart he is? Yeah. I met his parents and his sister. The first time I went over for dinner I remember the lovely salad his mom made with those pretty little purple flowers on top of chives garnishing it. I made the terrible mistake of eating one and secretly suffered as my mouth was on fire and I was left with the worst onion breath ever. I was so shy. So much that they thought I didn't like them because I never talked. I remember thinking they were so strange. Cory's mom and sister would go to the bathroom together. I always figured they were gossiping about me. They were so close knit and that was very foreign to me. My family wasn't close then, really. Thankfully we are now.

We always watched X-Files together and Cory would stay until the last possible second and then fly home in his red Ford pickup you could hear from a mile away. We would pray for snow storms in the winter because his mom would call up and tell him not to drive home. We loved those nights, they were the best! So that's probably what lead up to us doing things backwards. I found out in December of 1997 that I was pregnant. Oh man were we scared! Especially Cory who thought for sure his life was over. He would be disowned by his parents, never go to college and be a pizza delivery boy forever. I, of course, had a much better outlook on things. We'd do whatever we had to for Cory to finish college so we'd make a good life for our baby.

It was probably the hardest time of our young lives. Zach was born in 1998 when Cory was just 19 and I was 22. We went through more than anyone should have to over the next 2 years. That's another story. One I'm not ready to share. We waited to get married so Cory could keep his health insurance with his parents. He went to college. He graduated with an associates in liberal arts from SCCC. He went there on full scholarship through their honors program. After SCCC he went to SUNY New Platz and graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelors degree in Computer Science. I told you he's smart! I remember holding Zach as I stood on top of the chair watching Cory in his cap and gown that day in New Paltz as he graduated. I was so incredibly proud of him.

We were married on September 28, 2002, 4 years after our son was born. We were so happy! Zach was our little ring bearer, looking all handsome in his sweet little tux. We were married by our family friend who had married many other couples in our family at the church where my mother and father and my sister and her husband had been married. Tradition. Our reception was so much fun. We drank, danced, laughed, cried, ate and had the time of our lives with the people we loved. My mother in law and I had done most of the work ourselves to keep costs low. I made music CD's with pretty labels for our favors. We did table scapes, our unity candle, the bows on the cake knife and serving spatula, and these beautiful satin and lace pillars with candles on top that surrounded our cake. We made our card box too. Looking back, it sort of looked like a stacked wedding cake. We did what we could on our little budget and it turned out beautifully.

We honeymooned at the Poconos for 2 nights and picked Zach up and continued on to Williamsburg, Virginia. We had a very nice relaxing vacation then headed back to reality.

So, today, September 28, our 7th anniversary. No romantic dinners. No date. Boo. He's working and has a soccer game tonight. So he'll spend our anniversary coaching and I'll spend it having dinner with his parents. Oh well, there's always next year, right?

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! It was the most beautiful and fun wedding. I still listen to your CD. There is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! Here's to another 50...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I will be married to my best friend 7 years in Feb.. Been together 14 total and have two beautiful children. (They didn't come along till after we were married though) Maybe you guys can plan something later on...maybe a date night. Sweet story~

    nikki
    thechocolatemousseblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Happy Anniversary!!!

    I am stopping over from MBC and I am now follower.

    ReplyDelete