CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thank God for small favors!

I've had a rough couple of weeks. I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever a couple of weeks ago. The typical chills, can't get warm. I took Tylenol and went back to sleep only to wake up an hour later in a pool of sweat. The next morning I had one of my headaches that I've been getting since I was a little girl. Thankfully I have the worlds best baby who is the happiest most content baby...as long as he's not hungry! Cory came home at lunch time and spent the rest of the day taking care of the boys and I took a 3 hour nap. I felt much better. That night I got a fever again so I decided to go to bed early. The farther in the week we got, the worse I started to feel. My knees hurt really bad and the act of standing or sitting was awful. On Thursday I woke up and my arm felt like it was broken. What is this all about? I toyed with the idea of going to urgent care, but the more I thought about the pain, the more I thought it felt like a pinched nerve. My wonderful hubby again stayed home with me because now I can't even lift the baby. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment with my chiropractor who's office is always busy. I drive myself, shifting my car with my left hand. He examines me and decides my neck is "off" and my shoulder has "slipped out slightly." He says it may take 2 treatments and it may take 6 treatments (times a $20 co-pay each time, I'm hearing $40 or $120...not really in the budget!). So I go home and nurse my shoulder with an ice pack and no heavy lifting...as in my 22 pound chunk of a baby.

The next morning I woke up and now I'm really feeling awful and sort of strange. My joints...my hands, wrists, knees and my jaw all hurt really badly. I guess today will be my trip to urgent care with another co-pay. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely thankful for health insurance, but these co-pays are killing me! So, again, I drive myself so I don't have to drag my 3 children and I sign myself into urgent care. By the time I arrived, my headache was back with a vengeance. I'm happy that there's nobody in the waiting room and think to myself I should be in and out of there in no time...boy was I wrong!

I was taken to a waiting room directly in front of the nurses station. Now, if you've ever been to urgent care, you know that the doors are glass so you can see everything. The nurse left the door open, so at least I got to listen to the nurses complain about everything they could think of. I think that's one of my petpeeves...I hate going to places and listening to people complain about everything. I swear people are so ungrateful!

So anyway, I wait and wait and wait...no book, no magazines, nobody to talk to and feeling really crappy. Now in one of the many conversations I eavesdrop on, I hear the nurses say they're running an hour behind..GREAT! She comes and says "you're next, hon." Finally! 20 plus minutes later, the Dr. comes in. He's more focused on my shoulder than on my joints, which is why I was there to begin with. So, I say "what really brought me here is my joints!". He checks me out and goes over my symptoms and says I have fifth disease. Then he asks me if that "sounds okay to you"???? Are you looking for me to diagnose myself? Very strange. Slightly more rare in adults. Settles more in the joints with adults than kids and the pain can last months...WONDERFUL! No specific treatment other than treating the symptoms...Tylenol, ibuprofen, rest.

I got through the rest of the weekend with a bum shoulder and feeling like an old lady with arthritis.

Monday I went to Kingston with my sis. I felt good, mostly. Last night I started to feel my headache coming back. Of course, as my luck would have it, Cory has a conference in Syracuse today and can't be home to help with Luke! This headache is BAD! The kind over-the-counter meds can't touch. Zachary also complained of a headache this morning. I left it up to him if he wanted to stay home or not. He stayed. Thank God for small favors! His headache stayed mild enough for him to take care of Luke for his sick momma. He is the best kid ever! He changed diapers, played with Luke, put him down for naps and even swiped his ten year old finger in Luke's mouth a couple of times to fish out random things he picked up off floors or tables. He felt bad for me as I sat on the couch crying because it hurt so bad wishing Cory was home. Such an old soul, my Zach. So caring. I'm so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment